Saturday, July 16, 2011

Do the Chemo???

O.K. so here's the update. I've been praying for God to lead me to a peace regarding my treatment. The medical doctors have a standard 12 month treatment plan for Her2nu positive breast cancer which includes chemo and this new drug "Herceptin". Well, I just didn't like it, I feel like I want a doctor to treat me more "individualized" recognizing my history with anxiety and depression as well as having a newborn in the home and a 5 year old entering the public school system in August.

I began doing a tremendous amount of research on healing cancer through diet/exercise and supplements. This is becoming more and more acceptable and recognized as a very valid and effective treatment for not only cancer but many illnesses. I believe if we followed God's original plan for us as far as what we are supposed to eat, cancer would pretty much be non-existent in our society. I also believe our bodies can heal themselves given proper nutrition. Although the "broccoli" companies don't have the research nor the funding to prove this like the "drug" companies do, so it's not widely accepted by Western Medical Doctors. Well, I had to investigate this for myself.

My question has always been, will this work with Her2nu positive cancer. A genetic mutation. That seems to be the "Big Deal" for my particular cancer. It is considered the most aggressive form and "very serious"....that was until a drug called "Herceptin" came into the picture about 7 years ago. Apparently Herceptin has revolutionized her2nu positive breast cancer and is considered the "antidote" or "magic bullet". Problem is...it's only been tested with chemotherapy, they're still in clinical trials for it's use alone.

After a lot or prayer, research and recommendations I went to see a well-known Doctor by the name of Dr. Don Colbert who is an MD but has moved into holistic care for all types of illnesses and diseases including cancer. He was recommended to me by my pastor's wife who went to him for her cancer. She opted this route instead of doing the recommended chemotherapy and is now doing wonderful and is completely cancer free. Dr. Colbert has all kinds of testimonies just like this and he is a Christian. He's written over 56 books and I didn't even know this until I arrived at his office, but I had a couple of his books at home! Wow...cool. I even found out he's treated Joyce Meyer for over 11 years. (If you don't know who that is...she is a very well known in the Christian community and has a huge ministry). So, my point is he's got lots of accolades. I was so incredibility hopeful and grateful to be able to see this doctor. Insurance doesn't cover him and he is very expensive to see. I prayed about it a lot and our whole family felt it was definitely worth while...especially if I could avoid chemotherapy! Thanks to my parents, our Church and it's generous members and staff who helped us make this appointment happen. Jesus uses people...and I'm grateful for those who have been and are being so obedient to His call to help us! Thank you Mom and Dad and Bayside Community Church!  That just had to be said!!!

O.K....now for my appointment. "Wow" he says. I don't think I've ever seen somebody with so much stress happening all at once. (meaning getting diagnosed with breast cancer only months after having a baby and suffering severe post-pardom depression and anxiety all the while your  husband was out of work until about a month ago). Well, I said...."yes, but God has revealed himself to me in such a personal and profound way, that had this not have happened, I would not have got to watch him work the way he has, It's BEEN AWESOME!" I'm so serious...I will probably end up writing a book about every way God has moved on my behalf during this time, I couldn't begin to write it all here, but I will add bits and pieces as I can and feel God calls me too. I've learned sometimes God does stuff that is just between me and Him.

I fully went to this appointment expecting God to give me a peace one way or the other. I have to tell you I honestly thought this doctor would tell me he could help me w/o chemo....like he did my pastor's wife and another member of our church who went to him with cancer and was healed w/o chemo too. He looks through me tests....reviews everything.....everything.  Looks me in the eye and says, "Do the chemo."
 "Whhhhhat?"...I'm thinking that's not what I was expecting him to say!!!! He is awesome at treating cancer w/o chemo...why not me?  He further explains," if you had stage 4 cancer, I'd tell you NOT to do it...you'd have a better chance with me, but you are stage 1 and what "western medicine" has to offer you is a 95% cure rate. You are young and you have your whole life ahead of you with 2 young children....you do the chemo. Her2nu, is VERY serious, it's very aggressive. It's a miracle your tumor didn't grow not only for a whole year, but during a pregnancy!"  "Yes, I know, God protected me during this time.", "He sure did!" he replied.  I could help you but it would take more energy then you have and require more of you then you can give. Basically you'd have to eat raw vegetables the rest of your life, not many people can do this and stick with it". Your life would depend on it and with 2 young kids that kind of lifestyle would be so incredibly difficult.  You have young kids, your gonna want to have a "popsicle" every now and then, maybe a pizza once in a while. The life style you'd have to live is just not "do-able" for someone like you.....now again if you were stage 4 it'd be different because "western medicine" can't offer you a lot of hope, but you are stage 1, totally curable...you do it, this is very serious having her2nu." "but, but, but you treated my pastor's wife and this other friend of ours and they are doing great." "They didn't have Her2nu positive cancer either, that is very serious, very aggressive, you do the chemo!"

Whoa....wow, ok, not what I was expecting to hear or of course wanting to hear. But God was faithful, I wanted an answer and I got one. God is so good, He is so good. I cried...yes, we actually prayed with one of his nurses in his office, IT WAS SO AWESOME!!! The Holy Spirit was in that room and I knew what I had to do and I knew and I know that God is going to see me through was I am about to embark on. And as if that wasn't enough God wanted to confirm it even more for me. The next morning after my appointment I get a call from my Oncologist, (not his nurse or staff), from the actual doctor. (note, I had NOT called him after my appointment 3 weeks ago, his staff had called me to re-schedule, but I had not returned their phone calls because I wanted to go to this other doctor and wasn't sure what I was going to do).  I'm like, Lord, I hear ya !!!!! He wanted to know what was going on with me and was concerned. I told him about the doctor I had just saw and he was totally understanding and felt I did the right thing.

He also said after I left his office he was thinking about me and my cancer and reviewing my labs and he just feels it's so rare for me to have this so young that he thought it would be a good idea to have a PET scan. So he gave me the number to the lady at his office who schedules these. Before I could call her, she calls me! She says Dr. Whorf wants you to have a PET scan and I just got a cancellation for Monday! Wow, Lord you sure have my back!

I don't want to do it, I don't. But I look at my boy, my sweet Brady James and then I look into my daughter's eyes and hold her close, smell her, watch her smile at me....and tears roll down my eyes because there is nothing I wouldn't do for them and this is for them. I still don't know that I go through it if it wasn't for them, honestly....but they change everything, absolutely everything. Brady told me the other night at dinner that when he see's me he "just wants to hug and kiss me" and then he gave me a big hug and kissed me repetitively on my hand. Seriously, seriously....I about lost it right there at Red Lobster.

So, They want to proceed with chemotherapy....yesterday! I'm going to Moffit on Tuesday to get a second "western medicine" opinion, but I'm prepared for what they will say, I just want the best in the cancer business to concur with the doctor I'm seeing here. I tentatively plan to start chemo Wednesday.  I plan to do an integrative approach as much as possible to help myself recover quicker from the effects of chemotherapy. Dr. Colbert did recommend many supplements I plan to take during my treatment.

Please pray for me, for strength to walk in that door, strength to sit down in that chair and not run away. I pray for God's peace that surpasses all understanding to fall on me as I read my Bible and put my trust in Jesus. Strength to smile and not cry...to remember why I am doing this. "There may be pain in the night, but joy comes in the morning." a verse from one of my favorite songs at Church. I say yes to that! There will be joy on the other end of this...my God has promised me that!

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

3 comments:

  1. Terri, I had no idea. I will be praying for you. God has already concurred this and Jesus has set you free so I will rejoice with you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued prayers for you and your family. Isn't it great that we have a God who is with us when we have to face the "mountains" in our life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri - you are an absolute inspiration. You touch my heart. I am just sitting here reading this with tears falling down my face. Your courage, strength, love, and faith are positively AMAZING. Reading your post I absolutely know that you are going to come through this fine. More than fine. An already wonderful and amazing person, your heart and soul is just growing by leaps and bounds right before my very eyes. I feel positively honored to know you and so very blessed to be able to witness your triumph in this trying time. Thinking of you daily and sending all my love.

    ReplyDelete